Genuine pearls can last generations when they are taken care of properly. Pearls are more fragile than most gemstones so you must handle them carefully to preserve them in their best condition.
Read out guide on how to keep your favourite pearls lustrous forever.
1. Pearls should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off. Pearls are organic gemstones, which means they are vulnerable to acid, alkaline and extremes of humidity. To make your pearls last, avoid contact with perfume, make up, hair products, sweat and dirt. Apply your make up, perfume and hair products before putting your pearls on.
2. Wipe your pearls with a cloth after each wear. As much as we, girls, would like to avoid it, we perspire and the sweat will, in time, harm the pearls. Never use harsh chemicals when cleaning your pearls.
3. Avoid contact with water as it will weaken the silk or nylon thread. All our pearl necklaces are knotted, which means even if the thread breaks, the pearls will not go crashing down like Niagara Falls.
4. Store your pearls individually, in a jewellery box or a protective jewellery pouch. Pearls are cohesive and shock-resistant, but they are easily scratched by sharp objects, such as other gemstones. To prevent that from happening, fasten the clasps before lay them down in a jewellery box.
5. Pearls will need to be restrung every few years. Even with best care, pearl necklaces or bracelets, strung on silk or nylon thread, may became loose. If you notice the thread weakening, take your pearls to a specialist to be restrung.
Lastly, don't forget to remember to wear your pearls frequently to prevent them from dehydrating. Pearls are meant to be loved.